Part 2: 1869-1900

This second part presents the history of the Congregation from the death of Msgr. Angebault, October 2, 1869, until the general chapter of the year 1900.

We continue to give thanks to the Lord for His marvellous works in the history of our Congregation. His goodness continued to surround and accompany the spiritual daughters of St. Peter Julian Eymard.

Father Eymard’s premature death was followed by the death of Bishop Angebault the following year, October 2, 1869. On his deathbed Bishop Angebault was still making the final corrections to our Constitutions.

In the same month, the community lost its chaplain. On December 4th, Mother Marguerite requested from Father de Cuers, the Superior General, that a Blessed Sacrament Father be named as our chaplain. The evasive response was left without any follow-up.

--- 1870-1873 ---

March 17, 1870 Sr. Claudine was named assistant general. On May 17 of the same year, Father Grolleau our devoted ecclesiastical superior during a period of 3 years was named Bishop of Evreux.

In the month of June, the Gourd ladies offered their house to the Servants for a foundation. Mother Marguerite refused for various reasons.

Before leaving for Evreux on June 27, Bishop Grolleau preached the annual retreat for the Servants.

On July 27, 1870 the diocese of Angers welcomed a new Bishop, Bishop Charles Emile Freppel. He named Msgr. Pessard as the ecclesiastical superior on October 18. Msgr. Pessard held this responsibility until 1920, therefore for a period of 50 years.

On March 3, 1871, Mother Marguerite wrote her spiritual testament. On March 13, Bishop Freppel made his first official visit to the community.

During the month of May, when someone referred to Mother Marguerite as foundress, she protested.

Father Raymond de Cuers died on May 21, 1871. He had been Father Eymard’s first companion and was the second Superior General of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament.

On June 3, Mother Marguerite signed the requests for the approbation of the Congregation and the Aggregation. Two months later, on July 21, 1871 the Congregation of the Servants was canonically approved by the Holy See."

On July 29, the document of Approbation was signed (in Rome) and arrived in Angers on August 11. This document refused both the Eucharistic vow and solemn vows. It also imposed a separation from the Fathers, etc.

On September 7, 1871, autumn of the same year, Mother Marguerite received a letter from Mme Gourd. The Gourd ladies, who had been spiritual daughters of Father Eymard, once again offered their house for a Eucharistic foundation in Lyons. This time, Mother Marguerite accepted the offer.

She went to Lyons from October 22 to the 31, to take ownership of the property and on the 26 she signed the documents in the presence of a notary.

From November 13 to the 18 of the same year, Msgr. Pessard sought the consent of the Bishop of Lyons for this foundation, but he encountered the opposition of the pastors.

On December 12, 1871 the bishop of Lyons suggested he delay his project.

In January 1872, first visit of Father Tesnière to the community. He had heard negative things about Mother Marguerite and the community, but he was immediately won over.

In the Guillot family, Mother Marguerite’s eldest sister, Mme Gaudioz died on February 2. In spite of the Bishop’s apparent refusal, Mother Marguerite sent Sr. Pierrette to Lyons to try to influence him.

During the month of May of the year 1872, Mother Marguerite received a new letter of refusal from the Bishop for a foundation in Lyons."

On June 10, 1872 Sr. Pierrette and Sr. Marie left for Rome in an effort to obtain the Eucharistic vow. On the 23rd of the same month, the sisters presented their request during a group audience.

On July 13 they participated in a group audience for the second time. The preceding day, July 12, 1872, the Sacred Congregation of Bishops and Religious had already signed a document approving the erection of the Aggregation, but the same rescript refused the Eucharistic vow while proposing the oblation.

On July 31, 1872, the Brief was signed for the Aggregation and sent on August 2. On August 16, Mother Marguerite announced to the sisters that the Aggregation had been approved for the universal church.

On September 29, 1872 she left for Lyons in order to approach the Bishop once again. She met with him on October 2. He deferred his response for 3 days. On October 5th, they met again and he refused categorically.

On February 27, 1873 Father Crépon former SSS Father was named chaplain in Angers.

The years 1872-1873, saw the construction of the chapel on Cordell Street. On March 11, 1873, Bishop Freppel blessed the cornerstone. We have the prayer which Mother Marguerite inserted in this cornerstone.

On March 16, 1873 Pope Pius IX signed a rescript granting many indulgences to the Aggregation.

In the summer of 1873 Mother Marguerite refused to take work from the outside (were it only a banner).

The first chapter assembled on October 15, 1873. It was presided by Msgr. Pessard. Mother Marguerite and 12 sisters participated.

In Lyons, the sisters bought the neighbours’ house on rue Morel on November 26, 1873 thus eliminating one of the Bishop’s objections.

--- 1874 ---

Msgr. Pessard and Father Crépon went to Lyons on January 28, 1874 with a letter from Bishop Freppel to obtain the desired authorization. The Archbishop of Lyons, Jacques Marie Achille Ginoulhiac had first refused the Servants in his diocese. After many attempts, finally on February 6, 1874, he gave his consent to open a foundation there.

On Mardi Gras, February 17th 1874, at 8:00 p.m. Mother Marguerite and all the perpetually professed sisters made their Eucharistic oblation according to the formula received from Rome. The next day, she left for Lyons.

In Lyons, the Bishop received her kindly. She went to Fourvière on February 2 in thanksgiving. A few days later, she presented the plans for the chapel to the Bishop. He told her that this chapel must remain closed to the public.

On April 14th, four sisters were chosen from among the 18 destined for the foundation. To avoid the experience of Nemours, Mother Marguerite insisted on the unity which was to exist between the communities of Angers and Lyons. When they received this news, the community of 18 sisters began to cry. Mother Marguerite notes: “It is easy to understand our sorrow.”

In spite of the sadness surrounding the Bishops’ orders, the sisters celebrated the feast of their Superior on July 20 with an exhibit of their handy work, etc. She returned to Angers shortly after with a thorn in her heart. During the month of July, Mme Gourd, the donor of the house of Lyons passed away.

Mariette Guillot, Sr. Anne Marie of the St. Sacrament died on December 11th of the year 1874. Mother Marguerite had called her, “her second mother”. She had been the treasurer in Angers.

--- 1875-1877-- The Great Poverty

January 1875 marks the beginning of the great poverty which was to haunt the Congregation for several years. It was caused by the loss of funds through bankruptcy. In spite of this crisis, community life continued.

Beginning from January 23, 1875, general chapters were to take place regularly every 3 years.

On February 2, 1875, Bishop Freppel left for Rome and was to present the amended text of our Constitutions. He returned on May 3 of the same year with the certitude that the approbation would be given.

The month of May 1875 was a blessed month because of the approval of the Constitutions for ten years. The news reached Angers on May 15. Msgr. Pessard immediately communicated the news to Mother Marguerite. The Decree arrived on the 22nd of the same month. It was given to Mother Marguerite on the 23rd. The following day, while the sisters were gathered in the new chapel for singing practice to prepare the ceremony of the consecration of the chapel, Mother Marguerite went to the tribune and intoned the song: Alleluia.

The sisters repeated this cry of joy in a single chorus. She repeated it a second and third time, adding; “Our rule is approved... Let us now give thanks” The following week, when Monsignor brought the official documents, the sisters expressed their joy with a vibrant Te Deum.

Mother Marguerite spoke to the community as follows: “Now my daughters, what must we do? Our Rule was but a lifeless letter, now it is vivified by the approbation of Rome. Therefore, my daughters, if we are cold, let it warm us; if we are tepid, let it pull us out of our torpor; when we will have followed it throughout our life, the day will come to leave it aside to be with our dear Eucharistic family and sing our gratitude: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia.”

Another grace received was the consecration of the chapel of Angers by Bishop Freppel on May 26, and the christening of the two bells. A few days later, on May 31 Mother Marguerite could no longer read nor write and she asked the sisters to make a novena for the improvement of her eyesight. On July 25 she left for Lyons, as the doctor had prescribed a rest in the countryside.

On August 9, 1875 the SSS Fathers put their house up for sale, but the offer was refused for lack of funds. At the end of October 1875, Mother Marguerite was seriously ill, and her sister Claudine came to Lyons at her bedside. On November 6, they said she was dying. Msgr. Pessard travelled to Lyons to hear her final wishes.

On December 26, she was able to return to Angers though her weakened condition made the journey quite difficult. However, the Lord continued to show his kindness.

On January 13, 1876 the pipe organs which had just been installed in the chapel of Angers were blessed.

On February 5 of the same year a decision was made to buy the house of the SSS Fathers on rue Leclerc in Paris, in spite of the absolute lack of funds, so that it would not pass to Sr. Benoite.

On April 17 the bell given by Father Eymard for Angers no longer being in use, was blessed and sent to Paris. Ten days later, 12 sisters left Angers for the Paris foundation. On May 1, this new throne of adoration was ready. It was the inauguration day of the Cenacle and the foundation in Paris at rue Leclerc.

Msgr. Freppel, the Bishop of Angers went to celebrate Holy Mass. He was accompanied by Msgr. Pessard, the Ecclesiastical superior. Also present was the pastor of St. Jacques du Haut Pas, the sisters’ new parish. Msgr. Freppel exposed the Blessed Sacrament after mass.

January 1875 marks the beginning of the great poverty which was to haunt the Congregation for several years. It was caused by the loss of funds through bankruptcy. In spite of this crisis, community life continued.

On July 24, 1876, the sisters in Angers began a novena for Mother Marguerite’s healing. Though due to end on August 1 it was extended until the 3rd. The sisters prayed in the chapel until midnight.

After 25 months of suffering caused by the closing of their chapel, the sisters in Lyons received the authorisation to open to the public on September 4, 1876. They gave thanks to the Lord and sang the Te Deum.

In December 1876, Mother Marguerite wrote in her journal and in the archives that the Motherhouse need not necessarily always be in Angers. Mother Marguerite’s broadness of soul, her keen faith and firm confidence in God was exemplary during this period of great poverty in the Congregation. An extract from her journal on January 7, 1877 perhaps best describes this period.

           “My debts are my greatest cross, this, together with my state of continual suffering, day and night. Seeing several of my daughters infirm and sick is all that I can bear, oh! May God be blessed!”

Because of their extreme poverty, Mother Marguerite resigned herself to diminishing the luminary for exposition. (January 15, 1877).

Msgr. Richard preached to the members of the Aggregation in Paris during the month of March, and urged them to pay for a “Candle Day.” Because of the poverty, Mother Marguerite decided to give the two daily conferences of the community retreat herself. (From May 15 to 25, 1877)

On May 22, Sr. Claudine, whose health was progressively deteriorating, could no longer rise from her armchair.

On June 27, 1877, the body of Father Eymard was exhumed at La Mure and brought to Paris where it arrived in the morning of June 29, the feast of St. Peter. Father Champion, the Superior General and two religious accompanied their precious treasure. Father Eymard’s tomb was opened the same day the bystanders were struck by the fact that his body seemed to be in a certain state of conservation and his flesh was intact, but blackened. His facial expression was well conserved. All those who had known him or even seen photos declared; “It is really he.”

On July 2, the body of our Holy Founder was placed in a vault in the sanctuary, at the foot of the altar of the chapel on Rue Friedland, Paris. The following day, Tuesday, July 3, a funeral mass was celebrated, presided by Father Lagarde, the archdeacon of Notre Dame and Vicar General of the Archbishop of Paris.

On August 22, 1877 the Lyons chapel was flooded a second time, just as it had been at the time of the foundation.

--- 1878 --- First Gathering of Local Superiors

A single important event took place in the year 1878. From July 21 to 30, Mother Marguerite gathered the local superiors for the first time for an annual retreat which she gave herself.

--- 1879-1984 ---

On Corpus Christi, June 1879, one of Father Eymard’s wishes came true. He had expressed to Mother Marguerite his desire that on the feast of Corpus Christi we would have a procession in our own garden.

On June 16, 1879 Father Champion, the new Superior General, made a courtesy call to the community. He gave permission for Father Chanuet to preach in the sister’s chapel in Paris.

On October 30, 1879, the complete service of adoration was resumed, as it had been mitigated because of the great poverty.

November 1879, Mother Marguerite sent the “Manual” to the printer. It was the fruit of two years of work. The texts were drawn from her own conferences, as well as from the conferences and letters of Father Eymard.

In Angers on December 28, 1879 Bishop Freppel and the Chaplain organised the first joint meeting of the lady adorers and the members of the Aggregation. They would henceforth take place monthly.

April 4, 1880, Mother Marguerite informed the community about the Decree for the Expulsion of Religious Orders which were not authorised by the government.

In the face of this difficulty, she invited the sisters to consider whether they might somehow cause such a scourge by their mediocrity.

In the month of May, Mother Marguerite received an indirect request to receive the 29 sisters of Jesus Hostia. The following year, May 28, 1881, because of her blindness, Mother Marguerite could no longer write legibly, not even with someone to guide her hand.

During the annual retreat, from May 5 to 15, 1881, the sisters read Father Eymard’s conferences to Mother Marguerite and she would comment on them. She saw each sister twice during this retreat.

On August 28, 1881, Mother Marguerite gathered the sisters in Angers to give them the Manual. The following year, on March 24, 1882, Mother Marguerite’s leg began to ooze. Bandages would quickly become soaked... a wound caused by ecthyma appeared on the other leg shortly after.

Father Crépon, who had been devoted to the community ever since our arrival in Angers died on December 11, 1882.

On May 16, 1883 Mother Marguerite’s breathing became more and more difficult; she thought she would die.

May 25 and 26 mark the Feast of Corpus Christ and the beginning of the celebrations for the 25th anniversary of foundation. Mother Marguerite invited the 12 sisters from Lyons and Paris, who had been away from Angers a long time.

During the year 1884, on March 19, Mother Marguerite and the sisters began to prepare the documents for the definitive approbation of the Constitutions. In her Journal, Mother Marguerite wrote:

                      “I ask St. Joseph to take this matter in hand, to guide and inspire those who must attend to it.”

As always Msgr. Pessard was an effective intermediary. The documents were prepared and a letter of recommendation obtained from each of the three Bishops involved.

On the Feast of the Sacred Heart, everything left for Rome. But this time, the affair took much time and the sisters became discouraged and worried.

On May 25, ceremonies were held: Eleven postulants took the habit. Two sisters made their first vows and one sister made her perpetual vows.

On June 4, 1884, Sr. Pierrette, who had been Mother Marguerite’s right arm, passed away. A few days before her death, she repeated her customary phrase: “Whatever God wills, as much as He wills.”

November 24, 1884, marks the fusion of the Lady Adorers with the Aggregation. At the same time the “Lilies of the Blessed Sacrament” a branch of young adorers was founded.

--- 1885 --- Intertwined Time of Grace and Joy, Pain and Suffering

Times of grace and joy, pain and suffering were intertwined in the life of the Congregation during the year 1885.

On March 2, Bishop Freppel brought the Constitutions to Rome. He hoped to bring things to a successful conclusion. A few weeks later on March 29, Sr. Claudine, the sister of Mother Marguerite whom she affectionately called “Little Mother” died at 2:00 p.m. She was the First Assistant General. The death of Sr. Claudine left the role of Assistant Superior General vacant.

On April 25, a General Chapter was held to elect for the Assistant Superior General. Sr. Marie Clémence was elected to replace Sr. Claudine in keeping with Mother Marguerite’s suggestion.

The following May 8, an event which Mother Marguerite called “a great grace” occurred: the final approbation of the Constitutions of the Congregation of the Servants of the Blessed Sacrament. Around 5 p.m. the same day, Mother Marguerite’s illness re-occurred and marked the beginning of her long agony.

On the following day the telegram announcing the approbation of the Constitutions arrived. These moments of joy were followed by pain and suffering.

The following month, on June 3, 1885, Mother Marguerite believed that she would die the following day, Corpus Christi. She called the professed sisters and novices to hear her final recommendations and bless them.

She wrote the following words in her Journal on June 8: “Today, O my God, what a day of suffering it was. I felt totally abandoned. The cross seems to linger as my only companion; my Jesus you alone are the witness of so much suffering, at each instant my strength seems to disappear under the burden of the cross. I can only cry out: Lord, why have you abandoned me? All I can do is accept the chalice which you are presenting to me. If I must, I will drink it to the dregs...”

On June 10, she received the sacrament of the anointing of the sick and Holy Viaticum, replying with a firm voice to all the prayers, followed by a long period of profound recollection.

At the beginning of July she was so weak that she could hardly speak. She then called for Sr. Marie Clémence who was destined to replace her at the head of the Congregation and made her final recommendations. Shortly thereafter on July 5, she had such a strong attack of hiccups that she could no longer speak. It persisted to the end, becoming weaker and weaker.

On July 6, she could speak only by signs, because of the hiccups. At 9 o’clock in the evening, Msgr. Pessard administered final absolution and recited the prayers for the dying. As the sisters gently complained that they could no longer hear her speak to them, she gathered all her strength to say with difficulty, in broken syllables: “Sur-ren-der." It was her last word, though she remained lucid until the end.

The Servant of God spent the night in her armchair. The community was in prayer. At 3:25 in the morning on July 7, she died peacefully without movement and without sound, like a candle that had burnt out. Her pulse had stopped. The infirmarian said with sadness: “It is over.”

During her life, she had asked Our Lord for the grace of a calm and peaceful death. Our Lord granted her request: her death was like a gentle and peaceful sleep, without movement, with her eyes turned toward heaven.

The numerous visitors and sisters, who filled the room where she was exposed, looked at her and were filled with memories of her smiling, serene, ever peaceful face.

To respond to the wishes of the sisters, the bishop of Angers authorised that her heart be preserved in an urn. The extraction was done the following day at 7o’clock in the morning by the community doctor who had always considered his mission as an honour. He had a special veneration for the Servant of God. The funeral was presided by Msgr. Pessard on July 9, at 10 o’clock in the morning. All the communities of the city were represented. After the prayers over the body were said, the sisters accompanied the casket to the cloister door.

“Who could describe the pain the sisters felt when the venerable remains of our beloved mother were taken away. Their hope and consolation rested in the thought of their final reunion in heaven.”

Mother Marguerite’s death opens another chapter in the life-story of our Congregation. She left us physically but she still lives spiritually. The content of her New Year wishes are a form of presence. Let us remember a few key thoughts:

           ...Whether in work or in service, we must always see Our Lord in all things: That is why, my dear daughters, I wish you the necessary grace to make it so.

...My wish for my daughters has been the love and practice of the virtue of obedience... Oh! I asked Our Lord to give them a perfect understanding of obedience which provides true freedom to the children of God.

           My wish for my daughters this year was the knowledge, respect, and love of our beautiful vocation... Learn to understand and to esteem your vocation ever more...

           ...For the year 1863, I wished you a true renewal in your life of adoration. In 1884, I wish you the practice of the virtue which will lead to this renewal.

           Oh! My daughters, examine your exterior and interior behaviour and you will see that your faults or lack of virtue often come from a lack of simplicity.

These are the values she wanted to communicate. Her Journal entry on January 1885 is enlightening:

           “My daughters offered me their wishes for a happy new Year. I wrote them a letter to express everything that I would like to tell them. I asked that before my death they would grant me the consolation of seeing them fulfill these counsels.

We conclude this chapter of our history with the assurance of her maternal blessing and prayers for us – such as she bequeathed them to us in her Journal on August 28, 1869:

           My final wish for you, dear daughters as my final recommendation, is to maintain, to preserve and spread around you in this dear little Society of Servants, the spirit of faith and love of our Blessed Father for the Most Holy Eucharist.

           That is, his spirit of gentleness and charity toward his neighbour, especially toward your sisters, his humility, his modesty, his love of the simple and hidden life, for everything that concerned him personally.

           Following his example, my dear daughters, be generous in the royal service of the Master, kind toward all, humble and self-effacing within ourselves and never seeking to elevate yourselves, remembering that a Servant cannot and should not seek her own glory.

           Yes, may the spirit of our Father always reign among you? Never forget what he has done for us and the happiness of having known him, of having been fed by his holy word, formed by him to the religious life. Enjoy the favour of being part of this little Eucharistic family, to which he gave birth and which grew near him under the glance of our divine Master. Esteem, love your dear vocation, and may the founding spirit be communicated to future Servants, such is my wish for you, dear daughters. May Our Lord grant this wish and bless it by the hands of his divine Mother.

           This blessing will rejoice our Father and be followed by his own. My dear daughters, I dare to add my own and say that in Jesus and Mary I am your tender and devoted Mother.

Sr. Marguerite du St. Sacrement
Servante du T. Saint Sacrement.
From the Mother house of Anger
Saturday the 28th of August, 1869.

Mother Marguerite’s heritage continues to live in the hearts of her daughters yesterday, today and tomorrow according to the will of God.

Our history continues to unfold...

From 1859 to 1885, 216 sisters entered, 77 left, and 39 died.

In July 1885, there were 100 sisters in the Congregation.

On November 21 1885, the ninth General Chapter was held, gathered under the presidence of Msgr. Pessard, vicar general and delegated by the Bishop of Angers.

The members of the chapter elected Mother Marie Clémence unanimously as superior general for 12 years. She was 31 years old and had 5 years of profession. It was only on December 26th that Mother Marie Clémence officially took charge after receiving the required indult.

During the year 1885, the sisters received a large donation enabling them to buy the house contiguous to the professed house which belonged to Freemasons. This monetary gift was a touching sign of Mother Marguerite’s protection. Shortly before her death she had promised to solicit this grace in the next life, she herself being unable to buy it.

--- 1886 ---

In February 1886, Mother Marie Clémence visited the communities of Lyons, then Paris.

On September 24, 1886, Sr. Benoite, the superior of the sisters of Jesus Hostia, died in Lantignié. Her community, numbering 25 to 30 persons was left disoriented.

--- 1887 ---

An event of great importance in our history occurred at the end of the year 1887. Since the time of Father Eymard’s death, some dissent had slipped between the Fathers and the Servants. These persistent misunderstandings were more painful for Mother Marguerite than many other trials she had to bear. It also deprived her of the moral support which she would have greatly appreciated, although a few of the early Fathers had remained faithful and devoted toward her. This was done in secret from their confreres, especially from their superiors general de Cuers (1867-1871) and Champion (1871- 1887).

Fathers Cyr, Chanuet, Tenaillon, Billon and Durand did frequent the Servants and rendered them a few services, such as participation at the clothing and profession ceremonies and preaching.

Under the Generalateof Father Audibert (1881 -1887) the situation improved slightly. As soon as Father Albert Tesnière became superior general in 1887, R. M. Marie Clémence wrote to congratulate him and express her pleasure. Father who had known the Servants very well, responded quickly and so kindly that the ice was thawed and all prejudice dropped. From then on, good relations began between Father Eymard’s sons and daughters.

Father Tesnière became the regular preacher of the annual retreats at the house of Angers from 1885 until 1904, 5 years before his death. This resulted in contacts with many families from the north of France who were very devoted to the Congregation of the Fathers and among whom the new Superior General had many spiritual daughters.

--- 1888-1890 ---

The tenth General Chapter took place during the year 1888. The Rule prescribed a General Chapter every 3 years. The chapter of 1888 held no elections, but learned about requests for foundations in Douai and Roubais. The chapter members also discussed plans to enlarge the house of Angers and acquire adjacent land. No decision was taken but left to the Council. Plans were discussed to print a Manual for the Aggregation. It had been ready and waiting for such time as there would be harmony with the Fathers, thus resolving the right to use texts which had already been printed in the Father’s publications.

The chapter members were happy and grateful toward divine Providence that the financial situation had improved. Finally, they could replace the candle stumps with wax candles for exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and offer the sisters coffee and milk for breakfast.

Finally, what is noteworthy is that this chapter refused a request received from Jesus-Hostia on August 22, 1888, requesting a fusion with the Servants of the Blessed Sacrament.

The chapter members judged that the sisters who had received such a different type of formation and who were perhaps prejudiced against the sisters of Angers could not be integrated into the Congregation either together or individually.

During the year 1888: purchase of the Hotel de Russon (later called Maison St. Pierre.)

1890 Beginning of the construction of the new convent replacing the two houses referred to as known as St. Joseph’s house and St. Pier’s house. (The chapter room was placed where the first little chapel of 1864 had been located.) The construction would be complete only in 1892.

--- 1891-1900 ---

From August 17 to 23rd 1891, the 11th General Chapter took place. Its work brought slight modifications to the custom book, especially bringing the liturgical dimension in conformity with the most recent prescriptions.

During the year 1891 Father Estevenon, superior of the Blessed Sacrament Fathers in Montreal, Canada, invited Mother Marie Clémence to attempt a foundation in this profoundly catholic country.

In June 1892, the Servants of the Blessed Sacrament were happy for the exhumation of their Venerated Foundress’ body which would be placed in a vault built for this purpose in the garden of the Motherhouse. The vault was facing the chapter room where her heart was preserved in an urn.

In 1893, another opportunity presented itself, this time in Belgium. A Redemptorist Father whose directee was with the Servants of the Blessed Sacrament had heard of their hope for a foundation in his country.

At the beginning of October, Mother Marie Clémence and Mother Marie Eustella, superior of the future foundation went to Binche to hasten the transformations according to the needs and desires of the community.

On November 18th, 1894, the foundation took place in Binche, Belgium, 35 Ave. Albert Premier.

The 13th General Chapter opened on August 16-18,1897. Msgr. Pessard presided with the assistance of Father Tesnière. Our Rev. Mother Marie Clémence SSS was re-elected Superior General.

The principal decisions taken at this chapter were:
           1) Establishing a branch of co-adjutrix sisters,
           2) Replacing the Office of the Blessed Sacrament by the Roman Breviary,
           3) Annual vows replaced the triennial vows which precede final profession,
           4) Separation of the temporary professed sisters from the novices,
           5) Organisation of the motherhouse with a local council, distinct from the general council.

The year 1898, land was purchased at Passy, Paris. Construction of the convent at Passy began at the outset of 1899; it would replace the house on rue Leclerc, which was falling in ruins.

On October 30, 1899, the Informative Process on the holiness of Father Eymard was inaugurated at the urging of Cardinal Parocchi. Sixty-three witnesses were heard in Paris, Belley, and Angers.

On February 5, 1900, the Process for his Beatification was held in Grenoble: Eighty-nine witnesses came forward, thirty-eight of whom were from the diocese of Grenoble, the others were questioned in Fréjus, Toulon, Lyons and Rome.

The fourteenth General Chapter was held in the fall of the year 1900.

The principal decisions taken were: that the General Treasurer would henceforth be a member of the chapter by right and that the temporary professed sisters would be transferred from Angers to Paris.

****** End of the Second Part ******


           Journal of Mother Marguerite 4th and 5th volumes
           Mother Marguerite of the Blessed Sacrament, Père Henri Evers, SSS
           Mother Marguerite du Saint Sacrement S. Janine Bourque SSS
           For the History of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament III Generalate of R. P. Cyr Armand Champion SSS Generalate, Rome
           Calendar of Events, Province of Canada
           For the History of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament III Generalate of R. P. Cyr Armand Champion SSS Generalate, Rome
           Calendar of Events, Province of Canada
           Chronology of the Life of Mother Marguerite and of the Congregation of the Servants of the Blessed Sacrament, General Council, Rome
           Life and Letters of St. Peter Julian Eymard vol. 6, appendix III Eng. Sr. Catherine Marie Caron SSS